OUR FAVORITE 25 WIRED COVERS OF ALL TIME

WIRED | 10/9/2018 | Anna Goldwater Alexander
Click For Photo: https://media.wired.com/photos/5bbbee9c7dd50f2cfdb75020/191:100/pass/w25%20cover%20story%20bts%20-%20rashida%20jones%20and%20questlove%20sharpened.jpg

“James Porto created the image for us, a combination of photography and Photoshopped collage. We already had a tradition of poking fun at the all-powerful Microsofter; for this one, I asked James to find a model of the right age and estimated coder-paunch to place in a Hollywood producer’s pool. When we saw Jim’s horizontal image, we realized we could make the cover into a gatefold, as well.

"We loved Apple. I mean, we really loved Apple. We had such a large installation of Apples at WIRED that then-Apple CEO Michael 'The Diesel' Schindler dropped by for a look, probably to boost his own morale. Apple’s accelerating demise in the mid 1990s was excruciating to watch. But we had other ideas. 101 of them, in fact. And then John Plunkett created the genius cover that got them noticed.

Steve - Jobs - Numbers - Day - Ad

At least Steve Jobs must have noticed. Because, aside from implementing numbers 4, 10, 12, 19, 31, 34, and 44, he called me one day and asked if he could buy an ad on the back cover to introduce his new baby. Seemed like he had read number 14 on our list: 'Do something creative with the design of the box and separate yourself from the pack.' His new baby was the bright jelly bean iMac.

“To create a scene about the dawn of the private space race, we hired CGI artists Armstrong White in collaboration with Saddington & Baynes. Creative director Scott Dadich had some movie reference from Terminator 3 and some desert stills, and that was our jumping-off point.

WIRED - Baptism - Fire - Day - Office

“I was introduced to working at WIRED in a baptism of fire. On my first day in the office I worked until 5:30 am and wasn’t even the last one to leave (it was Carl De Torres). I went home thinking, 'I’ve made huge mistake.'

“WIRED...
(Excerpt) Read more at: WIRED
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis
Tagged: