For transparency, San Bernardino diocese lists priests credibly accused of sex abuse

Catholic News Agency | 10/9/2018 | Staff
Cayley1561 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/Our_Lady_of_the_Rosary_Cathedral_in_San_Bernardino_Calif_Credit_Farragutful_via_Wikimedia_CC_BY_SA_40_CNA.jpg

San Bernardino, Calif., Oct 9, 2018 / 03:01 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- A list of 34 priests credibly accused of abuse in recent decades was released Monday by the Diocese of San Bernardino. The local bishop has apologized to victims and said the failure to protect children has led to “new awareness” about the “terrible scourge” of sex abuse.

“When we read this list we are pained to think of the many lives that were impacted by the sinful and unlawful acts of those priests who committed them,” Bishop Gerald Barnes of San Bernardino said. “Some will recognize names on this list, more will recognize the parish communities where they served. It makes this crisis more local to us, and may increase our feelings of sadness and outrage.”

Victims - Sex - Abuse - Church - Minister

He encouraged victims of sex abuse by a Church minister or those who know victims of such sex abuse to “please come forward and report it.” He offered his apologies and deepest regrets to the victims of those listed and to the Catholic faithful, “who have been scandalized by this shameful chapter in our Church’s history.”

“Apologies, at this point, can seem hollow and I regret that because I can imagine how painful this has been in the lives of many victims,” Bishop Barnes said. “Still, I do want to state my sincere apology.”

List - Oct - Draws - Diocesan - Records

The list, released Oct. 8, draws from diocesan records and files documenting abuse reports made to diocesan personnel. The records include follow-up reports to priests and Diocesan Review Board discussions.

In the most recent cases, credibility of an accusation was determined by the Diocesan Review Board. In older cases, credibility was determined from facts reported by diocesan personnel at the time of the accusation, an admission from a priest, or from police or legal documents.

List - Faith - Effort

The diocese characterized the list as a “good faith effort”...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic News Agency
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Would you let a person who could only get a government job run your life? Well don't!