ASK THE GP: Will cannabis oil stop me from spilling my mug of tea?

Mail Online | 10/9/2018 | Martin Scurr for the Daily Mail
entengo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1/2018/10/08/23/4872224-0-image-a-13_1539038921201.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/06/18/4396191199182275766/1024x576_MP4_4396191199182275766.mp4

For the past 18 years, I’ve suffered with essential tremor, which has got worse and severely affects my ability to do many things.

On several occasions, I’ve had to call my wife for help to remove a mug of coffee or tea, as I’m unable to control the shaking.

Beta-blocker - Propranolol - Side-effects - Breathlessness - GP

I tried the beta-blocker propranolol (120mg) daily, but it wasn’t effective and caused side-effects such as breathlessness. My GP tried me on an epilepsy tablet, which also proved unsuccessful.

Is it possible cannabis oil would help?

P - Ryan - Newport - Gwent

P. Ryan, Newport, Gwent.

Essential tremor is the most common of all movement disorders and can be so severe that it causes significant problems, as you have described.

Condition - Beta-blockers - Nerve - Impulses

While it’s not known what triggers the condition, it is typically treated with beta-blockers, which are thought to work by blocking certain nerve impulses.

Beta-blockers are usually effective — but it does not surprise me that propranolol hasn’t worked for you, because you say in your longer letter that you are already taking a beta-blocker, atenolol, for a heart condition, and, if that wasn’t already working for the tremor, then propranolol wouldn’t, either.

Anticonvulsants - Primidone - Tremor - Magnitude - Cent

Anticonvulsants, such as the one you tried, can be effective: primidone is typically prescribed and, in some, can reduce the tremor magnitude by about 50 per cent. Other anticonvulsants that reduce tremor include gabapentin and topiramate.

Alcohol also reduces essential tremor. You may already be aware of this, but, although a small amount — such as a small glass of wine before each meal — may help initially, a growing tolerance means that, over time, greater quantities are required, with inevitable side-effects and the potential risk to health.

Question - Oil - Answer - Oil - CBD

Addressing your question as to whether cannabis oil might help, the answer is no. The commercially available cannabis oil is known as CBD oil (it contains only the tiniest amount of the substance, THC, that causes...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: