How the Eschatological Views of Columbus Changed the World

The Gospel Coalition | 10/9/2018 | Staff
trainman (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://s3.amazonaws.com/tgc-web/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/08161535/columbus-2018.jpg

Every October people across the U.S. and Latin America set aside time for an annual observance—the debate about Columbus Day.

Since the observance first began to be celebrated in the nineteenth century it has been opposed by a diverse rage of groups, from the Ku Klux Klan to the American Indian Movement to the National Council of Churches. In recent decades, though, the Italian navigator has sparked strong reactions throughout the Western Hemisphere, ushering in a new tradition in which we argue about whether he was a bold and brave explorer or a cruel and genocidal colonist (or, as in my view, a mix of both).

Year - Myths - Columbus - World - Slaves

This is why, every year, we talk about the myths of Columbus (no, he didn’t think the world was flat) or about what a horrible human being he was (he took slaves on his first day in the New World). While those are worthy topics, we rarely consider the religious angle, specifically how the eschatological views of Columbus have changed our planet.

Most people know that Columbus set out on his four voyages across the Atlantic in search of a western route to the Orient. What is less known is the motivation for his journeys: Columbus wanted to raise money to finance a new Crusade to retake the Holy Lands.

Crusade - Years - Columbus - New - World

The last crusade had ended in 1192—three hundred years before Columbus landed in the New World. He thought it was time to begin them anew. Columbus wrote in his diary that he hoped to find gold and spices “in such quantity that the sovereigns. . . will undertake and prepare to go conquer the Holy Sepulchre; for thus I urged Your Highnesses to spend all the profits of this my enterprise on the conquest of Jerusalem.”

Like others, Columbus believed the world would come to its terminus 7,000 years...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Why do democrats never have to face the reality of what's on the ground, like 2000 years of marriage.
Tagged: