‘The Good Doctor’: Mansplaining MDs Lead to an Episode of Powerful Workplace Drama

IndieWire | 10/8/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/149901_4826-copy.jpg

In its Oct. 8 episode, “The Good Doctor” contains one of the most accurate portrayals of everyday sexism on TV. When Dr. Claire Browne (Antonia Thomas) voices concern about a hospital policy, president Dr. Marcus Andrews (Hill Harper) takes umbrage, chastising her for even questioning him and turning his counterargument into a personal attack: “We’re going to have to agree to disagree about whether my foolish new policies make any sense,” he said. “I know I told you to be more assertive, but you also need to make sure you don’t forsake your normally excellent judgment in that effort.”

In a previous episode, he did tell her to be more aggressive at work, and nothing in her approach was disrespectful or warranted Andrews’ anger or condescension. When Browne discusses this interaction over surgery with cardiothoracic surgeon Dr. Neil Melendez (Nicholas Gonzalez) and fellow surgical resident Dr. Alex Park (Will Yun Lee), neither man can understand why she’s troubled. As men, being outspoken is praised as strength, and their privilege doesn’t allow them to see the inequity of her treatment; it isn’t part of their reality. Park even suggests that she should have chosen her words more carefully.

Nurse - Ann - Flores - Liza - Lapira

Nurse Ann Flores (Liza Lapira) jumps into the conversation, but her anger is targeted at Melendez, whom she feels alternately punished or rewarded Browne during the surgery for her attitude. Whether Flores’ criticism is warranted or not, she gives voice to the simmering anger and resentment that many...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Why do democrats never have to face the reality of what's on the ground, like 2000 years of marriage.