Visions of Truth (Reading Alan Noble as a Distracted Me 4/8)

Eidos | 10/5/2018 | Staff
ajoy26 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2018/10/2809D8DF-CD9B-4C96-ACB6-52464FA0DEF1.jpeg

Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2018/10/2809D8DF-CD9B-4C96-ACB6-52464FA0DEF1-768x404.jpeg

Times are tough for everyone, but what if:

Our faith has the resources to overcome the challenges of our times, but the church has often left those resources untapped.

Professor - Noble - Book - Secularism - Distraction

Professor Noble has written a must-read book. What he calls “secularism” and “distraction” threatens to prevent us from becoming whole and from talking to each other, witnessing in Christian terms, comprehensibly.

I am still unpersuaded that Noble’s use of “secularism” is useful, when “badly educated” or “mentally lazy” might better descsribe the phenomenon he describes. He might also be describing a state of mind of a (mostly) white (though it wishes it were not), highly credentialed (not to be confused with thoughtful) elite, in Western parts of the world and less a picture of reality globally where secularism is fading and forms of charismatic religion are growing. People like we are may live in an immanent frame, but many of my friends are not.

Thank - God

Thank God.

None of these concerns should keep anyone from reading this book. The illness of the academic elites of the Western world spread everywhere and Professor Noble unpacks them well. Nor should this be taken as a defense of any establishment on the right. Everyone’s house has the pox, including my own.

Distraction - Speaks - Truth - Distraction - Tribes

On distraction, Noble speaks truth. Distraction keeps us from leaving our tribes, our lazy answers, because we can go on believing lies that are repeated by the carefully culled list of people we follow on social media. Obviously, this is not to look to some past ‘Golden Age’ when things were better. No moral person, certainly no Christian, looks back before social media and would restore things as they were, even if this were possible.

It is not, by grace and with mercy.

Voices - Perspectives

We are where we are. More voices are good, more perspectives are better, but now we must learn to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Eidos
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: