Our Church Banned Announcements. Yes, I’m Serious.

Church Marketing Sucks | 10/3/2018 | Jodi Tonarelli
KHALED (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.churchmarketingsucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/2018_10ban.jpg

Our church banned announcements about one-year ago. Yes, I’m serious. Yes, we still get people to sign-up for stuff, in fact, we’re doing better than ever. Admittedly, when we first talked about the idea I got looks form folks on our team that implied they thought I was a bit crazy for suggesting this concept. Communicators should want to communicate, right? I don’t think so. Not our kind of communicators anyway.

You see, what I really want more than anything, is to see Jesus-led life change. I think you do too. I hope that’s why you’re reading this. God’s wired us to care a lot about words and transferring information in a clear way, but you could do that in a corporate setting. Why are you doing it at a church? Because what we have to communicate is better and different. So now what?

Ban - Announcements

Do better and do different. Ban announcements.

You want the nitty gritty? Here’s what lead up to our decision. Make a mental note of how many of these ring true for your church.

Announcements - Noise - Service - People - People

Announcements weren’t working. They became white noise during the service and people tuned out. How do we know? People weren’t activating.

Announcements aren’t inspiring. People are bombarded with logistics and information all day every day. That’s not why they come to church. They come to church to feel something and be a part of something different.

Announcements - Option - Revolution - Tools - Fingertips

Announcements aren’t the only option. The digital revolution has put countless tools at the fingertips of church communicators and many are low or no-cost options. (A few options include: websites, email, Facebook groups, Facebook events, social media posts, apps, cards on cards, and even sail mail.) The idea we need to keep making announcements because it’s ‘what we’ve always done’ as a part of the service is a dis-service to your people. We...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Church Marketing Sucks
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tyranny has such cute names, like Democrat, Republican, Congress, Senate...