Benched: 5 Ways Busy Leaders Shove Volunteers to the Sidelines

TonyMorganLive.com | 10/2/2018 | Tony Morgan
smilingbearsmilingbear (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i2.wp.com/tonymorganlive.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/politically-incorrect-3.png?fit=1600,900&ssl=1

“It’s painfully obvious that people are longing for community more than ever before. Thanks to social media and busy personal and ministry calendars, our reach is wide but I’m not sure how deep it is. People want more than just a like or a thumbs up emoji.”

Now that the football season is in full swing, the City of Atlanta announced they are looking for 10,000 volunteers to help with next year’s Super Bowl. At first glance, it sounded like a pretty easy task. Who wouldn’t want to volunteer at the Super Bowl?

People - Thousands - Dollars - World - Part

People will be paying thousands of dollars and traveling from all around the world to be part of this experience. However, after checking out the details, officials have clearly stated that anyone looking to help out so they can catch some of the game might want to think again.

There are zero volunteer opportunities inside of the stadium.

Fact - Situation - Super - Bowl - Host

Knowing this fact completely changes the situation. The Super Bowl Host Committee is asking 10,000 people to miss watching the game with family and friends, hang out in the Atlanta airport during one of its busiest times of the entire year, volunteer in transportation hubs, greet and provide wayfinding to complete strangers in bumper to bumper traffic.

I think I’ll pass on that one.

Challenge - Week - Campuses - Times - People

This challenge is actually pretty similar to what many of us do nearly every week at our campuses. Many times we ask people to trade their one day off to volunteer for an event (service) they cannot participate in.

We have to recruit setup and teardown teams, parking and nursery volunteers and many others who rarely get to experience services.

Volunteers - Lessons - Church - Year - Super

Why does it seem so difficult to recruit and maintain volunteers? There are 5 key lessons the church can learn from this year’s Super Bowl Committee:

1. We don’t take time to explain why...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TonyMorganLive.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.