Schoolboy, 12, expelled for missing too many days after his father took him to Alaska to spend six weeks with his dying granddad

Mail Online | 6/26/2016 | Julian Robinson for MailOnline
melanie7 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/26/15/35AFD98F00000578-0-image-a-20_1466951586880.jpg

A 12-year-old schoolboy has been expelled for missing too many days of classes after his parents took him to Alaska to spend six weeks with his dying grandfather.

Josh Palfrey and his father Scott Palfrey, 52, travelled 6,000 miles from their home in Pheasey, near Birmingham, to visit grandfather Arthur on March 26 - the first day of the Easter holidays.

UK - North - America - May - Arthur

They returned to the UK from North America on May 21 with Arthur having died days earlier - but were then told by Barr Beacon School in Aldridge, West Midlands, that Josh had been expelled in his absence.

Retired police officer Arthur Palfrey, 83, had begged to see his grandson for the last time after doctors diagnosed him with terminal cancer.

Single - Father - Mr - Palfrey - VW

Single father Mr Palfrey, a VW worker has accused the school of 'punishing' his son for visiting his dying grandfather.

He said: 'I feel completely disappointed and let down by the whole system. It's all percentages and figures and all about money, not about a child's welfare and education.

Circumstances - Bit - Boss - Dad - People

'In certain circumstances you should be a bit more flexible. My boss said take as long as you need, it's your dad, and that's how I expect people to be treated.

'It's punishing Josh for seeing his grandad in his dying days and I think that's totally out of order and wrong.

Choice - Cent - Dad - Son

'If I had the choice and they said to me this is what's going to happen, I'd do it all over again - 100 per cent. I'm going to see my dad and I'm going to take my son to see him, too.

'It was absolutely priceless for my son to see my dad in his final weeks of being alive.

Settee - Grandson - History - Navy - Days

'Sitting together on the settee, with his grandson, talking about his history in the Navy and his days as a mounted policeman.

'He wasn't there when...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!

Comments