Cure for Lust of a Good Image: When Your Family Isn’t Really Who You Think

Ann Voskamp | 9/27/2018 | Staff
pixielilia (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1863/44045058454_41177cb549_b_d.jpg

When our Chinese daughter blows out the pink-striped candles on her 4th birthday cake, the tendril of smoke curls up from the swirl of homemade lemon cheesecake, and I look around our backyard farm table at three Middle Eastern girls and a boy, born into the horror of Aleppo, Syria. Sham and Rose and Rama and Mohammad.

This, right here, is what it is for humanity to simply come home.

Whites - Eyes - Boys - Beside - Year

And I turn and look right into the whites of the eyes of the 3 African boys crowded in beside them, 11 year old Raphael with the cheekiness of his little brother, Mohammed, slung on his hip, and little Usman’s head peeking over the table, the kid devouring a Crispy Crunch chocolate bar, and there they all are:

a trinity of future men born into a dusty refugee camp in Osire, Namibia, — and crowded in amidst all of them, our blue-eyed kids of Dutch immigrants, all with Hebrew names, Malakai, Levi and Joshua downing a platter of burgers, our girls, Hope and Shalom, carrying out the stacks of white Corelle plates for cake — and that is the moment that the smoke clears and there it is, clear as day — what it means for all of our humanity to find family.

Humanity - Home

This, right here, is what it is for humanity to simply come home.

It’s my daughter settled on my lap, her silky black hair pulled back into pig-tails, her Asian brown eyes lit by the flicking candle light, and I am her mother but I wasn’t there when her first pulsing cord was cut, I wasn’t in the room when she first filled her lungs with the air of this earth and howled for courage to keep breathing here — I was more than 10,000 kilometres away, round the curvature of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Ann Voskamp
Wake Up To Breaking News!
NY Times, a small niche paper for a small niche people in a really big internet
Tagged: