“Has not all our misery as a Church arisen from people being afraid to look difficulties in the face?”

wdtprs.com | 9/25/2018 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →

I saw this on Twitter but I lost the tweet. I found the source of the quote, however.

On Christmas Day of 1841, Bl. John Henry Newman wrote a letter to Rev. G.W. Church.

Bits - Pieces - Emphases

Let’s see it, with some bits and pieces redacted. My emphases.

Christmas Day: 1841.

Has - Misery - Church - Arisen - People

Has not all our misery as a Church arisen from people being afraid to look difficulties in the face? They have palliated acts when they should have denounced them. There is that good fellow Worcester Palmer can whitewash the Ecclesiastical Commission and the Jerusalem Bishopric, and what is the consequence? That our Church has through centuries ever been sinking lower and lower, till a good part of its pretensions and professions is a mere sham, though it be a duty to make the best of what we have received. Yet, though bound to make the best of other men’s shams, let us not incur any of our own. The truest friends of our Church are they who boldly say when her rulers are going wrong and the consequences. And (to speak catachrestically) they are most likely to die in the Church who are (under these black circumstances) most prepared to leave it.

And I will add that, considering the traces of God’s grace which surround us, I am very sanguine, or rather confident (if it is right so to speak), that our prayers and our alms will come up as a memorial before God, and that all this miserable confusion will turn to good.

Differences - Prospect

Let us not, then, be anxious and anticipate differences in prospect, when we agree in the present.

[Y]et they should recollect that the more implicit the reverence one pays to a Bishop, the more keen will...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!