Just Open the Door Even When It’s Hard

(in)courage | 9/23/2018 | Staff
hey13 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.incourage.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/09232018_JenSchmidt_Invitation-1200x858.jpg

“Mom, I really don’t want you to invite them to our house. Their kids are kind of weird, and I’m not friends with them. It will be just plain awkward. Can’t you just ask the mom? I mean it. Don’t make me do this.”

I sat stunned and frustrated and honestly, a little heart sick as those sentiments spewed from my daughter’s mouth. Here I’d spent the last few years writing both a bible study and a book on biblical hospitality — Just Open the Door: How One Invitation Can Change a Generation — and my high schooler, who normally seeks out and befriends the underdog, who pursues and invites the lonely girl sitting by herself, was flat out telling me “No.”

Forth - Discourse - Colossians

We went back and forth with a little fiery discourse, and finally, I opened up to Colossians 3:14:

Above all, put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

Honey - Love - Means - Morning - Time

“Honey, I want us to think about what ‘put on love’ means. Every morning we spend time picking out what we’re going to wear. We go back and forth deliberating and often spend too much time stressing about what to put on because we want to get our outfit just right.

Translated from the Greek, ‘Above all and put on’ references the metaphor of an upper garment. Paul commands us to ‘put on love.’ We are to make a daily choice to intentionally clothe ourselves with His character qualities, the chief of them being love. You know there are times I don’t pick out the godliest outfits. Too often I clothe myself with selfishness and judgement, laziness and frustration, instead of putting on love. But what grace that we don’t have to sleep in the same clothes every day!

Love - Intensity

So, let’s ask ourselves, do we put on love with the same intensity that we...
(Excerpt) Read more at: (in)courage
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Economic projections are useless with out the exact timer they will occur
Tagged: