‘Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown’ Premiere: The Host Who Was Tough, Shy, and Taught the World to Be a Good Guest

IndieWire | 9/23/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/ABPU_S12_Kenya12.jpg

The September 22 world premiere of “Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown” at this year’s Tribeca TV fest wasn’t a memorial. While the series won the Emmy for Outstanding Informational Series or Special just a few weeks ago, it did so under the burden of Bourdain’s recent suicide. However, the Season 12 opener, “Kenya,” was a joyful episode that focused on Bourdain and “United Shades of America” host W. Kamau Bell.

In the episode, the pair explored the country’s capital of Nairobi as well as the savannah and more rural communities, with memorable sequences in which Bell’s dining options included cow’s blood beverage and a goat’s eyeball.

Q - A - Premiere - Director - Morgan

At the Q&A following the premiere, director Morgan Fallon told Bell that his rookie status was an advantage: “What’s nice from, a scumbag producer point of view, is that we knew that you were going to eat anything we put in front of you.”

Said Bell said being on the show made him “feel like I won a contest,” adding, “You gotta do the whole thing or you’re not being a good guest. One thing Tony taught us was how to be a good guest.”

Fallon - Executive - Producers - Sandy - Zweig

Fallon and executive producers Sandy Zweig, Lydia Tenaglia, and Chris Collins all noted that despite hosting 12 seasons of “Parts Unknown,” Bourdain’s interest was never in being the center of attention. “A big part of the show for him was that he was not someone who was invested in building his brand or his persona as much as he was someone interested turning the camera outward to the world,” Fallon said. “I think that was very important to him.”

“Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown.”

Tenaglia - Collins - Bourdain - Shows - Years

Tenaglia and Collins produced Bourdain’s shows since the beginning nearly 20 years ago. “When Chris and I met Tony, he was still working in a kitchen, and he had never really traveled before....
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!