Pentagon report reveals more than 800 sexual assaults in a year at some military bases

Mail Online | 9/23/2018 | Hannah Moore For Dailymail.com
rubydrummer (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/09/23/00/508E1C7C00000578-0-image-a-8_1537658539562.jpg

A newly-released report into sexual assault within the US armed forces shows hundreds of sexual assaults occurred at a small number of bases in just one year, and young, single, junior members are the most at risk.

The study, ordered by the Pentagon, showed six bases had me than 500 reports of sexual assault each over the year 2014 from both men and women.

Ranking - Service - Members - Peers - Risk

Younger, less-educated, unmarried and junior ranking service members are considered more likely than their peers to be at risk of assault.

But the study says a service member's risk of being sexually assaulted depends largely on their assignment to 'a particular unit, command, and installation'.

Women - Ship - Groups - Assault

Women stationed on a navy ship were considered to be one of the most at-risk groups for sexual assault.

'Of the 15 highest-risk installations for Navy women, 13 are ships or clusters of ships, including eight of the ten aircraft carriers,' the study read.

Make-up - Crew - Likelihood - Assault

The make-up of a crew could also contribute to the likelihood of sexual assault.

'An installation with large populations of younger, less-educated, unmarried, and more-junior-ranking service members would be expected to have a higher rate of sexual assaults than would the Pentagon, for instance, because these population characteristics are strongly correlated with sexual assault risk,' the study said.

Army - Marine - Corps - Navy - Hundreds

While the Army, Marine Corps and Navy all reported hundreds of incidents at individual bases over the course of 2014, the Air Force had significantly less reports of sexual assault occurring on one particular base.

The Ramstein Air Base in Germany had the highest level of reporting, with 76 assaults reported over 12...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!