The One Mistake You Can’t Afford to Make

(in)courage | 9/21/2018 | Staff
Claw987Claw987 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.incourage.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/2018-05_Archive18_MicheleCushatt-1200x858.jpg

Grabbing my car keys, I hollered a “goodbye” to my high school son as I headed out to the garage. I had fifteen minutes to make it to my appointment — more than enough time. I climbed into my parked car, buckled up, and put the car in reverse.

However, there was one teensy-weensy problem. The garage door wasn’t yet open. In progress, yes. But I hadn’t allowed enough time for it to finish its ascent.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH!

Stunned, I slammed on the brake.

Door - Brand - Garage - Door - Husband

I’d hit the door — the brand new garage door my husband installed months before. And I’d hit it with the family car we were trying to sell.

No. Please, no.

Mom - Teenager - Head - Carnage - Look

“What happened, Mom?” The teenager poked his head outside, took in the carnage, shot me a look of shock.

Humiliation complete, my head dropped to the steering wheel.

What’s wrong with me?!

Yes, those are the first words that flew through my mind. Followed closely by What were you thinking?! and Why can’t you do anything right?!

Day - Waste - Questions - Moment - Crisis

A day or two later, I’d see the waste of those questions. But in the moment of my crisis, my brain threw criticisms faster than a clique of ruthless middle-school girls.

I felt nothing but shame. A garage full of it.

Friends - Family - Flaw - Something - Expectations

If you ask my friends and family to name my one fatal flaw, they’d likely tell you it has something to do with unrealistic personal expectations. I’ve long been too hard on myself. I expect excellence every moment of every day — as a mother, a wife, a friend and business owner. And yes, as a driver. I can’t afford to make mistakes! Which is why I gave myself a verbal lashing and grounded myself to my bedroom where I sobbed about decimated garage doors and my utter worthlessness.

Super helpful.

Hours - Funk - Son

After twenty-four hours of funk, my eighteen-year-old son shook me out...
(Excerpt) Read more at: (in)courage
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I'm not always cranky, sometimes I'm actually running!
Tagged: