'Chequers is DEAD': Brexiteers and Remainers unite to declare May Brexit blueprint finished

Mail Online | 3/29/2019 | James Tapsfield;Jason Groves;Kate Ferguson, Political Correspondent For Mailonline
kshama-s (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1/2018/09/20/22/4436620-0-image-a-31_1537477632789.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/09/20/1899766189262681967/1024x576_MP4_1899766189262681967.mp4

Brexiteers and Remainers today declared Theresa May's Chequers plan dead after it was brutally savaged by the EU at a crucial summit.

The Prime Minister made a plea to European leaders to compromise as she desperately tries to get a deal agreed with less than two months to go in negotiations.

Leaders - EU - Plans - Series - Press

But leaders across the EU lined up to savage her plans in a series of scathing press conferences at the Salzburg summit today.

EU council chief Donald Tusk insisted her Chequers proposal 'will not work' while German Chancellor Angela Merkel said 'substantial progress' is still needed.

Mrs - May - EU - Insisting - Plan

A visibly angry Mrs May hit back at the EU - insisting that her plan remains the only serious and credible proposal on the table.

But she was hit with a fresh onslaught by her own MPs in Britain who said the damning verdict has killed off her Brexit blueprint.

Tory - MP - Brexiteer - Jacob - Rees-Mogg

Tory MP and leading Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg said: 'I think Chequers now has no supporters at all. I doubt even the Downing Street cat is any longer backing the Chequers plan.

'I think the time has come for Mrs May to say "This is not going to work".'

Conservative - Remainer - Anna - Soubry - Perch

And fellow Conservative and arch Remainer Anna Soubry said: 'Having been nailed to its perch this Chequers parrot is no more, it is bereft of life, it rests in peace, it is indeed an ex parrot.'

And Tory MP Grant Shapps said: 'I notice the blunt message for Theresa May in Salzburg in which Council President Donald Tusk says her Brexit plan won't work for EU.

Brexiteer - Fact - Remain - Situation - Handing

'Well, I'm no Brexiteer (in fact I voted Remain), but we may fast be approaching a situation where our handing over £39bn won't work for us either!'

A visibly shaken Mrs May appeared tetchy as she faced the world's cameras at a press conference to defend...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!