Variety’s Critics Break Down the Highs and Lows of Emmys 2018

Variety | 9/20/2018 | Daniel D'Addario
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/09/emmy-awards-2018-analysis.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Outside of “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” doing its best to sweep the comedy awards, the 70th annual Emmy Awards seemed determined to surprise prognosticators. Several winners, including Bill Hader of “Barry” for actor in a comedy series and Regina King of “Seven Seconds” for actress in a limited series were genuinely shocked to end up onstage with a statue in their hands, having gone up against such stiff competition that few predicted their victories. Even the highly anticipated conclusion of the Netflix versus HBO showdown ended in a draw, with both the streaming giant and premium cable favorite each ending the night with 23 wins apiece.

With so much to discuss, Variety’s television critics put their heads together to sift through the results, the production itself and the evening’s implications for the TV industry at large.

Caroline - Framke - Year - Emmys - Whiplash

Caroline Framke: To be perfectly honest, this year’s Emmys gave me whiplash. There were so many deserving winners, like Henry Winkler finally receiving his first(!) Emmy (supporting actor in a comedy for his work on “Barry”) and “Maisel” mastermind Amy Sherman-Palladino picking up the comedy writing and directing Emmys back-to-back (and indeed, being the first person ever to do so). But there’s also the fact that the night’s most prominent running theme — the TV Academy congratulating itself for a record-breaking number of non-white nominees — quickly became an obvious and awkward thorn in the ceremony’s side, as only a few people of color actually won anything.

As usually is the case, I couldn’t turn off my critical brain when it came to the night’s lackluster framework. As hosts, Michael Che and Colin Jost had a curious, palpable distaste for the occasion. They traded jokes in the same stilted manner they do on “Weekend Update,” even down to ceding the funnier ground to their “SNL” castmates. That...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Never argue with an idiot, the spectators may not be able to differentiate between you.