Spacey, Creepy, Female-Led Comics You Should Read After Revisiting ‘Alien’

/Film | 9/19/2018 | /Film Staff
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/alien-1.jpg

Alien is undoubtedly one of the best films ever made and it has been terrifying audiences for nearly 40 years now. Sigourney Weaver is nothing short of iconci as the xenomorph-beating badass Ellen Ripley, that H.R. Giger-designed creature is a total nightmare machine, and Ridley Scott’s direction is a masterclass in isolation, fear, and suspense.

We’re stoked to bring you a selection of scary, science-y, sometimes sweet, and (most importantly) female-led and female-created comics to fill the Ripley-sized hole in your 2018!

Reiss - Cartooning - Use - Space - Adventure

What It’s About: Reiss’ gorgeous cartooning is put to brilliant use in this space adventure, which focuses on an intergalactic cooking competition and the young Earth woman who’s pulled into the center of it. It’s a triumphant story that celebrates creation, passion, and delicious baked goods!

How It Connects to Alien: Deep space adventure and strong female leads, of course! This is a great sci-fi comic for those of us who love Alien but also want to enjoy the lighter things in the genre…or who want to share a cool comic with a young reader.

Rosie - Space - Battle - Lunchtime - Comics

Rosie: Space Battle Lunchtime is honestly one of my favorite comics of the past few years. I was super-happy when Jaz suggested this as one of our choices because the juxtaposition of Alien and this cute cartooning masterpiece is a perfect representation of my interests. This was the first time I’d discovered Natalie Reiss’ work, and it’s honestly just so charming and sweet. I really love cooking comics, and so this mashup of a food manga and an intergalactic competition is really 100% up my alley.

Jaz: Same! I love a good cooking comic, and I just thought it would be fun to show a cute, deep space adventure with a strong female lead. I am in love with Reiss’ art – the bright colors and the scale...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!