Jesuit priest from pro-gay parish removed after ‘boundary violations’ with male parishioner

LifeSiteNews | 9/18/2018 | Staff
megzmegz123 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://s3.amazonaws.com/lifesite/Fr._Bob_VerEecke.jpg

NEW YORK CITY, September 18, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) – A Jesuit priest at a well-known pro-homosexual Manhattan parish has been removed as pastor for “boundary violations” with “an adult male who attended the parish.”

Fr. Bob VerEecke has been removed as pastor of St. Francis Xavier Church and restricted “from the exercise of public sacramental ministry,” according to a September 15 letter from Jesuit superior John Cecero read out at parish Masses last weekend.

Letter - Pastor - Fr - Daniel - Corrou

A letter from acting pastor Fr. Daniel Corrou posted on St. Francis Xavier website Tuesday revealed the allegations concerned “a recent, unwanted and inappropriate conversation and attention of a sexual nature toward an adult male who attended the parish.”

Corrou wrote that “there was nothing criminal about this interaction” and that VerEecke “agreed that the incident took place, acknowledges his lack of good judgement, and is sorry for the incident.”

September - Letter - Cecero - Superior - USA

This confirms the September 15 letter from Cecero, superior of the USA Northeast Province of the Society of Jesus.

“About a week ago, the Archdiocese of New York communicated to me complaints by an adult of boundary violations by Fr. VerEecke. I reviewed these complaints with Fr. VerEecke, and he acknowledges a lack of good judgment in his behaviour,” Cecero wrote.

Province - Ethics - Ministry - Policies - Fr

“Consistent with our Province Ethics in Ministry policies, I am removing Fr. VerEecke from the Church of St. Francis Xavier and restricting him from the exercise of public sacramental ministry.”

Cecero’s letter continued, “I anticipate that many of you will share my regret in taking this action, but we as a Church have learned the hard way that boundary violations must be met with a swift and decisive response from church leadership.”

LifeSiteNews - USA - Northeast - Province - Investigations

LifeSiteNews contacted the USA Northeast Province to ask if there would be further investigations into Fr. VerEecke’s conduct, and if his suspension was indefinite.

“The province has nothing to add to the statement/letter...
(Excerpt) Read more at: LifeSiteNews
Wake Up To Breaking News!