The Misery of Duty-Driven Religion

Desiring God | 9/7/2018 | John Piper
JimmyJoe (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/the-misery-of-duty-driven-religion-eestxavl-en/landscape/the-misery-of-duty-driven-religion-eestxavl-7323f07cbcdc7d10c06be1907229379d.jpg?ts=1536609663&ixlib=rails-2.1.4&w=800&h=450&auto=format,compress&fit=min

My fiftieth anniversary is this December 21. I am going to show up at the front door, by surprise, coming home early, and I’m going to have behind my back, if I can manage it, fifty red roses. Pricey. And I’m going to ring my own doorbell, which I never do. It’s bitter cold by the way. It was five degrees when I left this morning. It will be December 21, and it will be cold. So this is crazy.

Ding-dong. She opens the door. All the kids are gone by the way. They live all over the place. It’s just Noël and me in this big house. Ding-dong. She opens the door and looks surprised. And I pull this mammoth bouquet out, and I say, “Happy anniversary, Noël!”

O - Johnny - Trouble

And she laughs out loud and says, “O Johnny, they’re beautiful. Why did you go to so much trouble?”

Now, suppose at that moment, I got a noble look on my face, and lifted my hands, and said, “It’s my duty. I read the manual. This is what good husbands do on their anniversary.” That’s the wrong answer, but you need to think very deeply why you laugh at duty. Duty is not an evil thing, and you’re laughing at it. And you should be. Why?

Video - Right - Answer - Time - Ding-dong

Let’s rerun the video, and I’ll try to give the right answer this time. Ding-dong. “Happy anniversary, Noël.”

“O Johnny, they’re beautiful. Why did you go to so much trouble?”

Nothing - Buying - Roses - Way

“Well, I can’t help myself because nothing makes me happier than buying roses for you. And by the way, why don’t you go...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: