Black students who are interested in racial justice are more likely to be ignored by white admissions counselors, new research shows

Business Insider | 9/9/2018 | The Conversation
mel4 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5b92e1135c5e521f008b5fc1-2732-1366.jpg

A recent nation-wide study shows that predominantly white institutions are more likely to embrace black students who don't profess interest in racial justice.

Results showed that students who presented anti-racist narratives received less responses from college admissions counselors.

Study - Colleges - Students - Students - Students

The study found that white colleges like black students who see themselves as students first, and black students second.

Back when I taught at a predominantly white, selective liberal arts college, I came across a book called "Acting White? Rethinking Race in 'Post-Racial' America."

Book - Scholars - Devon - Carbado - Mitu

In the book, legal scholars Devon Carbado and Mitu Gulati argue that in the "post-racial" era, white-controlled organizations prefer to hire "'good blacks' who will think of themselves as people first and black people second."

"They will neither 'play the race card' nor generate racial antagonism or tensions in the workplace," the book contends. "They will not let white people feel guilty about being white; and they will work hard to assimilate themselves into the firm's culture."

Employer - Benefits - Diversity - Issues - Race

This lets an employer realize the benefits of diversity without having to deal with issues of race, Carbado and Gulati argue.

Their critique made me wonder: Do America's colleges and universities act the same way toward black students in the admissions process?

Study - Answer - Yes

Based on a recent nationwide study that I conducted, the answer is: yes.

What I found is that historically and predominantly white institutions are more likely to embrace black students who don't profess interest in racial justice.

Words - Authors - Acting - White - Argue

In other words, similar to how the authors of "Acting White" argue that white employers like black employees who see themselves as people first, and black people second, my study found that white colleges like black students who see themselves as students first, and black students maybe second or third or fourth, if at all.

Why does this matter?

Time - Issues - Race - Racism - Campus

It matters because this is a time when issues of race and racism on campus...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Keep the change!