‘Wildlife’ Trailer: Jake Gyllenhaal and Carey Mulligan Are a Crumbling 1960s Nuclear Family

/Film | 9/7/2018 | Ethan Anderton
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/wildlife-careymulligan-jakegyllenhaal-portrait.jpg

With the Toronto International Film Festival in full swing, we’re starting to get a better glimpse of some of the movies playing the festival. Several of them have already made the rounds on the festival circuit as far back as Sundance in January but are now ramping up their marketing campaign as awards season lingers around the corner. That’s where Paul Dano‘s directorial debut comes into play.

Wildlife is an adaptation of Richard Ford’s acclaimed novel of the same name, and it finds Jake Gyllenhaal and Carey Mulligan as a couple on the outs in 1960s Montana as a forest fire rages in the mountains not too far away. It’s up to their son Joe (Ed Oxenbould of The Visit) to become the man of the house and try to keep his family together, even as all seems hopeless. Watch the new Wildlife trailer below.

Wildlife - Plenty - Acclaim - Film - Festival

While Wildlife has garnered plenty of acclaim on the film festival circuit, this is one of those instances where I find myself on the outside looking in as someone who wasn’t quite as enthralled or moved by this dysfunctional family’s struggle to maintain some sense of sanity and love.

The performances from Jake Gyllenhaal, Carey Mulligan and Ed Oxenbould in Wildlife are undoubtedly remarkable, but the metaphor of the forest fires raging nearby, the quietly contemplative narrative, and Revolutionary Road-style melancholy never really came together as something powerful for me to latch on to. It feels...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!