On Reading Well: Introduction (Interactive Reading of Karen Swallow Prior 1/12)

Eidos | 9/6/2018 | Staff
MicaellaMicaella (Posted by) Level 3
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wp-content/themes/Patheos TwentySeventeen/assets/images/default-thumbs/default-img-palm-tree.jpg

Reading.

If a Christian, you are in a religion that prizes literacy and has spread the art of reading wherever we have gone. If you live in a nation with a Christian history, then literacy was a gift of a Faith that begins the world with the Word. The Word was made flesh and then that Word spokes words, as God always had, and they were written down.

Authors

He breathed through the authors.

We must read if we can and most of us are able, but what of reading well? We read, therefore we see words, how to see the Word? I was trained in analytic philosophy, but chose a career teaching college general education. My days are spent with literature, but I am not a scholar of literature. As a result, I must carefully attend to those who are. My job puts that unique requirement on me, but I have learned from it that everyone would benefit by paying attention to the experts.

Shakespeare - Fog - Shakespeare - Imagination

We read, they can teach us to read well. We might, on our own, learn to enjoy Shakespeare dimly, but they can wipe away most of the mental fog and help us hear and read Shakespeare better. Most vitally, reading well can make us better by showing us virtue and helping us to experience it through the imagination.

The good news is the English professor Karen Swallow Prior (KSP) has written a book to help us read virtuously or excellently. How could this be?

KSP - Habits - Mind - Form - Pieces

KSP argues that the habits of mind necessary to read well cannot be found in short form pieces (like this little review). We need to wrestle with the text extensively. Having spent decades teaching college undergraduates to read, I can confirm her diagnosis and prognosis. Dr. Prior has written a book that promises a cure not just for...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Eidos
Wake Up To Breaking News!