Director Lenny Abrahamson on ‘The Little Stranger’ and the Importance of Ambiguity

Collider | 9/3/2018 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/lenny-abrahamson-social.jpg

From director Lenny Abrahamson (Room, Frank) and screenwriter Lucinda Coxon, and adapted from the book of the same name by Sarah Waters, The Little Stranger tells the story of what happens when Dr. Faraday (Domhnall Gleeson) is called by the Ayres family to Hundreds Hall, where his mother once worked, to attend to a patient. The house and grounds of the vast estate has suffered and is now dilapidated from neglect, which adds to the creep factor, as he begins to wonder if mother (Charlotte Rampling), son (Will Poulter) and daughter (Ruth Wilson) are being haunted by something more supernatural in nature.

During this 1-on-1 phone interview with Collider, filmmaker Lenny Abrahamson talked about what made him want to tell the story of The Little Stranger, as his follow up to Room, the biggest challenges with intertwining the genres and themes, how he’d like audiences to draw their own conclusions with the ambiguity of the story, designing and working in the perfect old manor, cutting the film down from three and a half hours, and working with such a talented cast. He also talked about his desire to tell the story of the very complicated life of champion boxer Emile Griffith, and why the story is of such interest to him.

Collider - Time - Room - Bit - Thing

Collider: Good to talk to you again! The last time we spoke was in 2015 for Room, so it’s been a little bit. You actually told me, back then, that this was the next thing you were hoping to make, so it’s very cool to see that it actually got made, which is a huge accomplishment, in itself.

LENNY ABRAHAMSON: Yeah, I know. Actually, I can tell you, at the end of this interview, what I hope to do next, and let’s see if it comes true again.

One would think that, after...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Never under estimate the power of the people, especially when they are a stupid mass!