Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/09/03/14/4FA9ECBC00000578-0-image-a-2_1535982324969.jpg
An infant died of a viral infection she got from an eye exam at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), the family's lawsuit claims.
The premature baby, Melanie Sanders, was one of 23 children infected with adenovirus at the hospital in 2016, according to Philly.com.
Journal - Article - June - Staff - Outbreak
In a medical journal article published in June 2017, hospital staff attributed the outbreak to medical staff failing to wear gloves and clean equipment properly.
The lawsuit alleges Sanders died as a result of the infection, though lawyers for the hospital said in their court answer that survival of babies born so prematurely is uncertain for numerous reasons.
Authors - Journal - Article - Babies - Eye
The authors of the medical journal article said 43 babies received the eye exam in the unit in August 2016, and 23 of them were infected.
Adenovirus is not unheard of, but only accounts for about 10 percent of fever-causing infections among American children.
Virus - Hospitals
It is a particularly problematic - and common - virus in hospitals because it is highly contagious.
Usually, adenovirus is first recognizable as 'pink eye,' or conjunctivitis, a mild infection of the membranes surrounding the eye. These are often paired with or shortly followed by by respiratory infections.
Respiratory - Symptoms - Pneumonia - Symptoms
All of those who were infected suffered respiratory symptoms; five developed pneumonia; and 11 had eye-related symptoms, they said.
In addition, nine adults, including six nurses and three parents, contracted viral infections.
'Observations - Lack - Cleaning - Practices - Bedside
'Observations revealed lack of standard cleaning practices of bedside ophthalmologic equipment and limited glove use,' the authors wrote.
Sterile gloves and consistent, thorough hand-washing practices are...
Wake Up To Breaking News!