The Left's Perverse Idea of 'American Exceptionalism'

Townhall | 9/1/2018 | Staff
kshama-s (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.townhall.com/townhall/reu/s1280x720/2018/239/2a34d0e4-d9a4-4ee6-bb22-0c326ed4f92a.jpg

Perhaps the strangest thing in modern discourse is that anytime something bad in our country's history is mentioned, the left paints it as uniquely American. Yet, anytime there is a remarkable and heroic event, the left ascertains it was an achievement accomplished by all of humanity. This was evidenced yet again by Hollywood’s portrayal of Neil Armstrong landing on the moon in 1969 as a "human achievement" and deciding to omit the iconic scene of Neil Armstrong planting the American flag in outer space in an upcoming movie, First Man.

As Cortney covered yesterday Ryan Gosling, the Canadian actor who portrays Armstrong in the film, told the media, "I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that's how we chose to view it. I also think Neil was extremely humble, as were many of these astronauts, and time and time again he deferred the focus from himself to the 400,000 people who made the mission possible."

Everyone - Tip - Iceberg - Decision - Neil

"He was reminding everyone that he was just the tip of the iceberg - and that's not just to be humble, that's also true," Gosling continued defending the decision. "So I don't think that Neil viewed himself as an American hero. From my interviews with his family and people that knew him, it was quite the opposite. And we wanted the film to reflect Neil."

Well according to American hero Chuck Yeager (keyword being American, Ryan), that depiction of Armstrong could not be further from the truth. Responding to multiple tweets, Yeager said that this movie was "Hollywood make-believe" and "that's not the Neil Armstrong I knew." Obviously, it does not take Chuck Yeager saying Armstrong was indeed an American hero to indicate that the first man on the moon was the direct result of American ingenuity, but thankfully he did....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Townhall
Wake Up To Breaking News!