Writing and Publishing in Academe

Anxious Bench | 8/31/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wp-content/themes/Patheos%20TwentySeventeen/assets/images/default-thumbs/default-img-dandelion.jpg

In my teenage years, I used to loathe “Back to School” signs in stores. I know it’s going to happen, like I know we all have to die someday, but do you have to remind us? Anyway, by late August, that fact has become an undeniable reality (back to school, I mean, not death) and we have to cope by turning our minds back to the process of education. In this instance, I am offering something that I believe to be useful, and which has been road-tested over the years.

You will have noted that my Anxious Bench colleague Beth Barr has been publishing valuable thoughts on graduate school, and the graduate student experience. We live in an age when the academic profession is in growing crisis, and we really need to think very hard about what we are doing by putting people through graduate school. These are discussions we have to have.

Post - Graduate - Students - Use - Courses

My own post is mainly intended for new graduate students, but if it might also be of use to faculty teaching such courses, that would be wonderful. Over the years, I have written a lot of books and taught lots of courses in various disciplines. That has given me a lot of experience about writing and research, which I have distilled into several blogposts. I am collecting these here because I hope they might be useful for people teaching or taking courses, chiefly in humanities disciplines like History, where writing is of the essence. These materials are aimed at anyone interested in writing books or articles, but every word applies equally to dissertations.

Primarily, I did one major blogpost on the whole process of conceiving and writing a scholarly book. I put a lot of what I have learned through the years into that piece, “Writing and Publishing History,” and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Anxious Bench
Wake Up To Breaking News!
May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care