UK fishermen accuse French rivals of sinking British crab pots

Mail Online | 8/29/2018 | Richard Spillett for MailOnline
liizu (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/08/29/14/4F7F4EEA00000578-0-image-a-105_1535550121355.jpg

Click For Video: https://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/08/28/7430058522050343455/1024x576_MP4_7430058522050343455.mp4

British fishermen have vowed to return to English Channel later this week despite so-called 'scallop wars' being fought with the French.

A sea battle blew up in the sea off the France this week after Normandy crews accused British trawlers of 'scallop pillaging' in a row over access to the Seine Bay.

Maritime - Authorities - Today - Calm - Clashes

French maritime authorities today appealed for calm and branded clashes between rival boats 'very dangerous'.

But British fisherman insisted they have done nothing wrong and will return to fish in the area at the end of this week.

Nathan - Clark - Skipper - Brixham - Joanna

Nathan Clark, skipper of the three-man Brixham based Joanna C, said it was 'very scary' when stones and flares were thrown at them.

He said: 'I've never had anything like it before. It was an absolute nightmare. Things being thrown at us and being rammed.

Nephew - Callum - Year - Boats - Life

'My nephew Callum was petrified - it's his first year on the boats and he was cared for his life.

'We had to get him in the boathouse to get him under cover and away from the objects being thrown.'

Safety - Fears - Area - Week - 'It

But despite safety fears, he'll return to the area later this week, insisting: 'It won't stop us. We'll take a few days off but we'll go back out there again.'

Brian Whittington, skipper of the trawler Golden Promise, which was involved in the battle, will also return.

'It - Waters - Royal - Navy - Time

He said: 'It won't stop us - we'll go back. It's international waters - we're allowed there. Maybe the Royal Navy could help us next time.'

Locals in Devon have meanwhile warned that someone could be killed in the ongoing war over scallops off the coast of Normandy.

Week - Fleet - Boats - Northern - France

Earlier this week, a British fleet of four boats was up against at least 40 from Northern France before police finally intervened in the Seine Bay.

Tensions have run...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!