Rowan Williams on Baptism (1)

internetmonk.com | 8/28/2018 | Chaplain Mike
normanorma (Posted by) Level 4
Today we begin a series of reflections on Rowan Williams’s book, Being Christian: Baptism, Bible, Eucharist, Prayer.

My congregation celebrated its 180th anniversary yesterday. That’s quite a historical legacy. When I serve as interim pastor this winter, I’ve been thinking about doing some preaching and teaching that goes back to the basics of what it means to be a Christian and part of a Christian community. I think this book will provide a good place to start my preparation studies.

Rowan - Williams - Anglican - Bishop - Archbishop

Rowan Williams is a Welsh Anglican bishop who served as the Archbishop of Canterbury from 2002-2012. In this book, taken from a series of talks at Canterbury Cathedral, he discusses a “few simple and recognizable things that make you realize that you are part of a Christian community.” The four fundamental elements he talks about are baptism, the Bible, the Eucharist, and prayer.

We begin today with some beginning reflections about baptism.

Christians - Beginning - Life - Christ - Rite

Christians have always marked the beginning of the new life in Christ with the rite of baptism. Rowan Williams discusses some of the biblical background for this. The first Christians recalled Jesus speaking about the baptism he was to undergo at his death, and so baptism became associated with “going down into the darkness of Jesus’ suffering and death” (p. 2).

Furthermore, additional reflection saw links with the story of creation, when the Spirit hovered over the original watery...
(Excerpt) Read more at: internetmonk.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Homeschool or State Thought Police School, you choose.
Tagged: