There And Back Again: Advice For History PhD Students

Anxious Bench | 8/22/2018 | Staff
madalina09madalina09 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/168/2018/08/IMG_16501.jpg

I am afraid of heights.

I first realized it when I was 16. I had hiked with my sister and father to the top of Lone Mountain near Big Sky, Montana. It was a 9 mile hike from the base, and the last 2.8 miles climb over 2000 feet to its full elevation of 11, 166 feet. I wasn’t too far from the spectacular summit when the narrow ridge suddenly dropped off steeply on both sides. I remember kicking a pebble and watching it fall, hundreds of feet to the valley below.

Needless - Top - Mountain

Needless to say, I never made it to the top of that mountain.

I almost missed two more spectacular sites this summer because of my fear.

Lake - New - Mexico - Feet - Rocky

The first was Lost Lake, New Mexico. Nestled more than 11,000 feet up in the Rocky Mountains, Lost Lake was approximately 5 ¼ miles (one way) from a trailhead near where we were vacationing in Red River, New Mexico. Neither the steepness of the trail nor the thinning atmosphere bothered me too much. It wasn’t until about 4 miles up, when the end (and our sandwiches) were in sight, that I almost quit. The forested, wide switch-backs suddenly gave way to a narrow, slanted, rocky path. One side was the mountain. The other side sloped steadily downward with loose gravel, sometimes dropping off altogether into the valley below. The view was spectacular.

But I still freaked out.

Us - Lost - Lakell

Us at Lost Lakell freaked out.

All I wanted to do was crawl backward to the safety of the trees. If it hadn’t been for the helping hand of my husband, I would have done exactly that. As we sat on a narrow ledge together, with me trying to quash my panic and ignore the sounds of stones echoing as they bounced down the side of the cliff (courtesy of my teenage...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Anxious Bench
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Does it ever seem that life has become one long rerun?