Inside Asia Argento's Troubled Year: From Losing Anthony Bourdain to Facing Sexual Assault Claims

PEOPLE.com | 8/21/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/gettyimages-845466680.jpg?crop=0px,0px,2700px,1417.5px&resize=1200,630

It’s been a year filled with tragedy and scandal for actress and director Asia Argento, 42.

The Italian actress and daughter of filmmaker Dario Argento first made headlines in October 2017 when she accused Harvey Weinstein of sexual misconduct and shortly after became a leader in the #MeToo movement attending rallies and speaking out about Weinstein at the Cannes Film Festival. In June, her boyfriend chef Anthony Bourdain was found dead by suicide. “He was my love, my rock, my protector,” she said at the time of his death. Then on Sunday, Argento found herself once again in the spotlight after a New York Times’s story stated she had made a financial settlement with actor Jimmy Bennett, 22, after he accused her of sexual assault following an incident that took place four years earlier when he was just 17 and she was 37. She has since denied the claim saying, “I am deeply shocked and hurt by having read news that is absolutely false. I have never had any sexual relationship with Bennett.”

Timeline - Star - XXX - Heart - Deceitful

Read on for a timeline of how the star of XXX and The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things became one of the most talked-about figures of the #metoo movement and beyond.

She was one of the first accusers of Harvey Weinstein.

New - York - Times - Story - Assault

The first New York Times story that outlined several sexual assault and harassment allegations against Weinstein, 66, was published on October 5, 2017, and Ronan Farrow’s feature in The New Yorker followed three weeks later. In it, Argento accused Weinstein of forcibly performing oral sex on her. She told Farrow it started when she was brought to Weinstein’s room by another producer and was left alone with him. Allegedly, Weinstein left briefly and returned wearing only a robe and demanded a massage from Argento. She says she agreed reluctantly...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
An enemy of death and destruction