Church Public Relations Success Stories: You Can Do This

Church Marketing Sucks | 8/20/2018 | Kevin D. Hendricks
Click For Photo: http://www.churchmarketingsucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/2018_08prsuccess.jpg

We’ve been talking about public relations all month. We’ve got a wealth of resources for our Courageous Storytellers members—and you can even get a sample with our crisis communication tips.

But sometimes press coverage can feel like an afterthought. You’re so busy with bulletins and announcements, you don’t have time for press releases. And do they even work?

Today - Press - Releases - Time - Churches

Today we’ve got proof positive that press releases can be worth your time. We talked to four churches and looked at examples of how they landed some press coverage. Hopefully this can inspire you that public relations is worth the effort.

Vikki Huisman, communications director at Edgewood Baptist Church in Rock Island, Ill.:

Staff - Church - Communications - Director - Celebration

I’m new to staff and my church’s first communications director (part-time). We decided to have our anniversary celebration for our recovery ministry at a large riverfront park and invite the public. A local daytime talk show had our pastor on to discuss the event and it went very well.

In addition to the usual communication venues our recovery pastor requested, I wanted to take the message to the public. So I sent out my very first press releases for this event, reached out to our local Moody radio station affiliate to interview the recovery pastor, and I reached out to our local TV station that has a live daily afternoon talk show. The talk show producer texted me a week later and scheduled our recovery pastor to come on the show.

Worship - Pastor - Communication - Avenue - Game

I report to our worship pastor and he told me that trying this communication avenue was a game changer for us. From his point of view, it has opened up the staff’s eyes as to what is possible. I don’t think they could see the possibilities in having a communications director. It is so much more than proofreading and editing for grammar.

Do don’t be...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Church Marketing Sucks
Wake Up To Breaking News!