‘Skate Kitchen’ Newcomer Rachelle Vinberg on How Her Instagram Page Became the Basis for a Movie

Collider | 8/19/2018 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/skate-kitchen-rachelle-vinberg-crystal-moselle.jpg

From filmmaker Crystal Moselle (The Wolfpack), the undeniably authentic indie drama Skate Kitchen follows Camille (Rachelle Vinberg), an introverted teenage skateboarder from Long Island who crosses paths with a New York City-based skateboarding crew, primarily made up of other young women. When she has a falling out with her mother, Camille’s bond with the Skate Kitchen crew deepens, until she falls for a mysterious skateboarder guy (Jaden Smith) who could tear their friendship apart.

During this 1-on-1 phone interview with Collider, acting newcomer Rachelle Vinberg, who’s been a skateboarder since she was 12, talked about the journey from being approached by director Crystal Moselle on a train to now having a feature film released that she’s at the center of, how she originally got interested in skateboarding, the most serious fall she’s ever had, being able to collaborate on her character, why Instagram is important when you have a skateboarding crew, and the scene she was most bummed about getting cut. She also talked about working with director Cary Fukunaga on the “A Perfect Day” commercial for Samsung, as well as what she’s looking to do next.

Collider - Film - Work - Life - Something

Collider: I really enjoyed the film and thought you did really great work in it. I’ve never skateboarded, in my life, because I’m terribly clumsy and would break something, but I have massive respect for anyone who does it because it seems terrifying.

RACHELLE VINBERG: Thank you! It is.

Dancer - Line

I’m a dancer, but that’s where I draw the line.

VINBERG: That’s what I’m scared of! I’m scared of dancing. Really, I’m not even joking.

Journey - Point - Feature - People - Ways

What has this whole journey been like, to get to this point, with this full-length feature that people are responding to it in really positive ways?

VINBERG: It’s definitely strange. Two years ago, I was Camille in the movie, coming in from Long Island sometimes. It...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Settled law: one party can't change a contract. Now if the Government, citizens and the Consstitution...