An Open Letter to My Roman Catholic Friends

Red Letter Christians | 8/19/2018 | Jeffrey Salkin
jster97 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.redletterchristians.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Catholic-Priests.png

When I read the accounts of the grand jury report, accusing three hundred Roman Catholic priests in western Pennsylvania of abusing a thousand children, I felt nauseous.

Let me tell you about that nausea, that I might share it with you, that you know that you are not alone in the depths of what must surely be your own anguish, that just as surely as Immanuel (“God is with us”), I am with you.

Friends - School - College - Students - Doctor

You are my friends: from high school and college. You were my fellow students in the Doctor of Ministry program at Princeton Theological Seminary. You were my students in the Doctor of Ministry program at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion. You – a gentile, kind, wise nun — were my co-teacher in that program. You were my fellow faculty members at Molloy College, a fine Catholic institution, in New York.

So, too: the theologians whom I admired, the authors whose books I read, the worshipers in the countless churches in so many countries that I have visited; the creators of the sublimely beautiful art in those churches and in countless museums all over the world. I have admired and understood the poetry and beauty of the notion of the Incarnation, even though it is not my theology.

Colleagues - Churches - Communities - Neighbors - Rockville

You are my colleagues in the churches in the communities that I have served. You were my neighbors in Rockville Centre, New York, the seat of the Catholic Diocese of Rockville Centre, representing more than three million Catholics in Nassau and Suffolk counties. You sat next to me in clergy council meetings. We mourned together in the wake of 9/11. We planned community Thanksgiving services together. You are my neighbors in Hollywood, Florida.

How well I know that anti-Catholicism has been a major thread in American history, that it has been the anti-semitism...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Red Letter Christians
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: