Honest With God/Growth in Grace

Blog & Mablog | 8/18/2018 | Douglas Wilson
smnth28 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i1.wp.com/dougwils.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Plant-From-Bible.png?fit=800,356&ssl=1

INTRODUCTION:

We are considering the two components of growth in grace. The first is getting rid of impediments to that growth, which is a necessary thing—but preliminary. The second thing is actual growth in grace. This growth in grace is a form of life, and like all life it requires food. Our spiritual life in Christ must be nourished as much as our physical lives require nourishment.

TEXT

THE TEXT:

“Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied” (1 Peter 1:2).

Power - Apostles - Witness - Resurrection - Lord

“And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all” (Acts 4:33).

SUMMARY OF THE TEXT:

Life - Series - Techniques - Thing - Epistles

We must always remember that the Christian life cannot be reduced to a series of techniques. It is not a thing you can tinker with. In all of the epistles, we receive the benediction of grace and peace. In most of the epistles we receive this grace and peace from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. The Spirit is usually not mentioned (although He is here in this passage). Why is He usually not mentioned by name? I am following Jonathan Edwards in this, believing that this is because the grace and peace is the Holy Spirit.

And so the devout wish that grace and peace be multiplied should be translated into personal terms. This too is related to honesty and understanding. Since the Holy Spirit is an infinite person, and He can’t grow and multiple, it must be that our experience of Him is multiplied. We are the ones who grow, and as we grow, the eyes of our understanding are enlightened (Eph. 1:18), such that we can say that great grace is...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Blog & Mablog
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do I know who I am?