Why Trusting Your Ordinary is More Important Than You Think

(in)courage | 8/18/2018 | Staff
monna (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.incourage.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/20180818-Fletcher-Rest-1200x858.jpg

“You can go get your son if you leave by Saturday,” announced our social worker. This was Monday afternoon, I had four days to pack our family of five, soon to be six, for a month-long trip to South Africa.

We climbed onto the plane after a frantic week of packing and prayer, and after a month, we were back on the plane to come home. The most extraordinary part of my life led straight back into the ordinary days of home life.

Random - Comments - Target - Smiles - Nods

From the random comments in Target to the well-meaning smiles and nods at the local playground, I know people think we are still living out an extraordinary story.

My ordinary looks drastically different than many people. But honestly, walking through my daily life looks more like Ruth the Moabite than the miraculous story of Mary.

Ruth - Wheat - Boaz - Baby - Nanny

Ruth gleaned wheat, met and married Boaz, and had a baby. I worked as a nanny, met and married Dan, birthed three babies and adopted one.

Ruth was a foreigner and she stood out; our adoption has made our family stand out.

God - Coincidences - Ruth - Life - Ours

But just as God worked through the “coincidences” in Ruth’s life, He has worked in ours. And it wasn’t the extraordinary month in the middle of our adoption that made the biggest impact. It was all the small moments living life before and after.

Before we made our way to South Africa, Psalm 139 was woven through my ordinary moments of devotional time, church, worship, and books. It was a constant comfort in the unknown of waiting. God was faithful to use it to bind my heart to His, going so far as to put it in my devotional the morning we left on the plane.

Children - Depression

After was harder. Four children was overwhelming, and I started living frantically instead of faithfully. It was only through a brutal depression...
(Excerpt) Read more at: (in)courage
Wake Up To Breaking News!