‘Stranger Things’ Star David Harbour Dissects ‘The X-Files’ and His Favorite TV Episode Ever — Turn It On Podcast

IndieWire | 8/17/2018 | Staff
KHALED (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/shutterstock_9645180ee.jpg

“Stranger Things” star David Harbour was a struggling twentysomething actor in New York in the late 1990s when he came across what would become his favorite TV episode of all time: “The X-Files” Season 6 installment “Field Trip.”

It’s an unconventional choice: One of the show’s classic “Monster of the Week” stories, this one was a bit different. Mulder and Scully are investigating the mysterious death of a couple, but it turns out the culprit was a giant fungal growth that causes hallucinations and ingests its victims. The two of them are soon trapped themselves, and experiencing their own weird hallucinations.

Earth - Life - Harbour - Concept - Earth

“So you’re being digested by the earth and you’re hallucinating your life,” Harbour said. “When I watched it I was in my 20s, I was really into that concept. We’re all being digested by the earth and we’re all just dreaming a life that has meaning and purpose while our bodies are being slowly eaten alive. That metaphor hit me really hard.”

Harbour, who’s Emmy-nominated for the second year in a row in the Outstanding Drama Supporting Actor category, sat down with IndieWire’s TURN IT ON podcast to discuss his favorite TV episode, and how its themes actually relate quite a bit to “Stranger Things.” Harbour also reveals his favorite episode of “Stranger Things” so far, and how the show is evolving as it heads into Season 3. Listen below!

Anderson - David - Duchovny - X-Files

Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny, “The X-Files”

The 21st episode of “The X-Files” Season 6, “Field Trip” was written by Vince Gilligan and John Shiban, from a story by Frank Spotnitz, and directed by the late Kim Manners — all “X-Files” legends. You could tell, Harbour said: “It has a confident hand to it.”

Harbour - X-Files - Fans - Love - Dynamic

Harbour said, like many “X-Files” fans, he fell in love with the dynamic between Mulder (David Duchovny) and Scully (Gillian Anderson)...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tyranny has such cute names, like Democrat, Republican, Congress, Senate...