I’m a Mormon! But I’m not supposed to call myself that anymore.

Religion News Service | 8/17/2018 | Staff
jenny124124 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://religionnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Meet-the-Mormons.png

Yesterday, the church that invested millions in its Meet the Mormons movie and exports its Mormon Tabernacle Choir as its ambassador to the world asked us all to stop using the word “Mormon.”

Ahem. It seems I’m no longer a Mormon columnist. I’m a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints columnist, and isn’t that just so fun to say?

Branding - Change - Language - Revelation - Lord

What’s more, this is being presented not as a simple branding change but in the language of divine revelation: “The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for His Church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,” said Russell M. Nelson, president of the Church Formerly Known As the LDS Church.

According to the religion’s updated style guide, we’re all supposed to use the institution’s full name on first reference, and then after that, refer to it simply as “the Church.”

Church - World - Which

As if it’s the only church that exists. In the entire world. Which won’t be confusing in the least.

There’s a precedent for this, as LDS leaders tried at the dawn of this century to get people to stop calling the institution the “Mormon church.” The effort to have everyone focus on using “the Church of Jesus Christ” went over like a lead balloon (see here).

Term - Mormonism - Combination - Doctrine - Culture

The term “Mormonism” is inaccurate and should not be used. When describing the combination of doctrine, culture and lifestyle unique to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the term “the restored gospel of Jesus Christ” is accurate and preferred.

Whoops. I didn’t realize when I was co-authoring Mormonism for Dummies years ago that the correct title should be The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ for Dummies, Which Is Not Actually Mormonism, Because Mormonism Is Now Considered An Inaccurate Term to Describe Our Religious History and Beliefs, Despite Every Google...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Religion News Service
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: