Kenya Barris Officially Joins Netflix With Big TV Overall Deal For New Series

Deadline | 8/16/2018 | Nellie Andreeva
Click For Photo: https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/120115-npr-kenyabarris_003-photocred-megan-miller.jpg?w=605

It’s official: black-ish creator Kenya Barris is headed to Netflix with a rich multi-year overall deal.

The pact had been rumored for months. I hear the agreement with Netflix was made awhile ago but could not be announced until Barris formalized his exit from his ABC Studios deal. Barris and ABC Studios last month announced that his overall deal there would terminate in August, a little over a year into its four-year term. I hear the date was Aug. 15, thus today’s official news from Netflix.

Netflix - Deal - Today - Aug - Years

I hear the Netflix deal, which starts today, Aug. 16, is for three years with an option for two more. Under the pact, Barris will produce new series exclusively at Netflix, writing and executive producing all projects through his production company, Khalabo Ink Society. In success, if it goes to five years, the deal is believed to be potentially worth as much as $100 million, possibly crossing into the nine-figure territory of Netflix’s mega five-year pacts with uber series creators/producers Ryan Murphy and Shonda Rhimes.

“Kenya Barris is one of our great modern storytellers,” said Cindy Holland, VP, Original Content at Netflix. “Kenya uses his voice to make audiences more aware of the world around them, while simultaneously making them laugh. His honesty, comedic brilliance and singular point of view, combined with the creative freedom he will enjoy at Netflix, promises to create powerful new stories for all our...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Deadline
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Have you forgotten?