Stern of World War II destroyer Abner Read found 75 years after it was ripped off by a Japanese mine

Mail Online | 8/18/1943 | Mark Prigg For Dailymail.com
MonkeyBubble (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/08/15/19/4F1EC05400000578-0-image-a-6_1534358834405.jpg

Click For Video: https://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/08/15/2201102309693278027/1024x576_MP4_2201102309693278027.mp4

The stern of a US destroyer that was blown off the ship by a Japanese mine 75 years ago, killing 71, has been found off Alaska.

The fragment of the USS Abner Read was found in the Bering Sea off the Aleutian island of Kiska, where it sank after being torn off by an explosion while conducting an anti-submarine patrol.

Crew - Ship - Attack

The remaining crew managed to save the ship, which was repaired after the attack.

On July 17, a NOAA-funded team of scientists from Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California San Diego and the University of Delaware discovered the missing 75- foot stern section in 290 feet of water off of Kiska, one of only two United States territories to be occupied by foreign forces in the last 200 years.

Sonar - Side - Research - Ship - Norseman

After sonar mounted to the side of the research ship Norseman II identified a promising target, the team sent down a deep-diving, remotely operated vehicle to capture live video for confirmation.

'There was no doubt,' said expedition leader Eric Terrill, an oceanographer at Scripps Institution of Oceanography and co-founder of Project Recover.

'We - Stern - Gun - Rudder - Control

'We could clearly see the broken stern, the gun and rudder control, all consistent with the historical documents.'

'This is a significant discovery that will shed light on this little-known episode in our history,' said retired Navy Rear Adm. Tim Gallaudet, Ph.D., acting under secretary of commerce for oceans and atmosphere and NOAA administrator.

'It - US - Navy - Sailors - Sacrifice

'It's important to honor these U.S. Navy Sailors who made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation.'

Finding the ship's shorn...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!