Day of Reckoning

Mary DeMuth | 8/15/2018 | Staff
penaert (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.marydemuth.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/reckoning-1024x1024.jpg

Consider these definitions of Day of Reckoning:

I believe the North American Church is in the throes of a holy day of reckoning–on so many fronts. People’s continual, yet hidden misdeeds are catching up with them. We’re seeing it everywhere. Here are four places I’m personally seeing this reckoning play out.

Sin - One - Deal - Bible - Language

It’s the sin no one seems to think is a big deal. (I would argue that the Bible is replete with strong language prohibiting both lying and stealing). As an author, this one absolutely affects me. While it may be hard to understand the violation it is when someone steals your phraseology, consider this example instead.

Let’s say I spent many hours toiling over a painting. Let’s say it uniquely reflects not only my work, but my style. I love this painting. I’ve put myself into it. But one day, someone breaks into my home and takes it. Not only that, they (as my daughter Sophie reminded me as we talked about this last night) cover over my name with paint, then place their name on it. Then they take my piece of art to an art dealer and sell it for $350 (I’m an amateur artist at best!).

Painting - Stealing

Not only have they stolen my painting, but they’ve passed it off as their own and profited from it. That’s called stealing. It’s wrong.

Yet, sadly, it’s happening in our Christian world. On a pretty large scale. I get emails every week of sites selling my books illegally. Recently we see plagiarism highlighted here. In the past we’ve seen it here and here and here. We also see it in sermons, where even one church seeks out a pastor who will simply act out someone else’s “rockstar sermons.” (I kid you not! I wish I were!). One story tells of a pastor (now at a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mary DeMuth
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: