Spiritual Trauma and the Catholic Church: How Do We Heal Our Broken Hearts?

Faith on the Couch | 8/15/2018 | Staff
k.collazi (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/335/2018/08/Catholic-Bishops.jpg

Horrifying. Devastating. Apocalyptic.

The sad fact is, none of these words are adequate to describe the events described in the recently released grand jury report on multigenerational clerical abuse in Pennsylvania and the PA bishop’s response (or lack thereof). In light of all that has come out about “Uncle” Ted McCarrick, as well as all the news from Chile, Peru, Argentina, and before that, Australia, the PA report is just the latest sign that our church leadership has failed. Miserably. Catastrophically. Globally. Sadly, its hard to believe that we are not just seeing the tip of the iceberg that could easily sink the barque of Peter.

Course - Faithful - Comfort - Jesus - Words

Of course, the faithful have always taken comfort in Jesus’ words, “You are Peter, and upon this rock, I will build my church and the gates of **** will not prevail against it(Mt 16:17-18).” These words are true as ever, thanks be to God. Unfortunately, it is clear that many, if not most, of our church leaders have exhibited a leadership style less in keeping with our Lord’s words than with Edmund Burke’s, proving that, “the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

The bonds of clericalism have left our leaders bound and gagged, incapable of even the degree of fraternal correction required to maintain the most minimal levels of human decency and moral rectitude.

Level - PA - Jury - Report - Child

On a personal level, as I read through the PA grand jury report, I unhappily discovered that, as a child, I had a fair amount of contact with at least two of the men who were eventually removed from ministry. One was involved in the parish school I attended for junior high. I interacted with him regularly as an altar server and lector for school masses.

The other was the asst. vocations director in the years...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Faith on the Couch
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a Government intervention.