7 Rookie Mistakes New Leaders Should Avoid

Ron Edmondson | 8/15/2018 | Ron Edmondson
roxy2707 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://ronedmondson.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Fotolia_75727506_XS.jpg

I deal with a lot of new leaders. I’ve been one myself numerous times. In fact, I’m there again now. I’m the “new guy”. I don’t know as much about the organization I am supposed to lead as many of the people I’m supposed to be leading.

Starting as a leader is difficult regardless of the experience one has as a leader. Each time a leader is new there will be new experiences that challenge everything the leader knows or has experienced previously. It’s like you’re a rookie leader all over again.

Leader - Rookie - Mistakes

But, just because a leader is new, doesn’t mean they have to make rookie mistakes.

I’ve watched new leaders who start strong, find success, and build a long-term healthy relationship. And, I’ve watched some new leaders shoot their proverbial foot and take years to recover — if they ever can.

Leaders - Years - Lessons

What makes a new leaders beginning years successful? What are some hard lessons learned?

I seem to learn best from my mistakes and observing the mistakes of others. Let me share a few I’ve made or seen.

Rookie - Mistakes - Leaders

7 rookie mistakes new leaders often make:

Effective change is built on trust. Trust is nearly impossible to gain quickly. There may be some things you have to move quickly to do — especially if everyone knows the change is needed or it’s a mission critical change. When changing things, which impact an organization’s core identity – the kind of change where people are thinking “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” – it is wise to take your time. You have to build relationships, bring people along and earn their trust first. Only then can you make change, which will build rather than disrupt community and have lasting impact.

Thing - Leaders - Things - Leaders - Everyone

That’s the thing about new leaders. They are new. They will do things differently than previous leaders. Everyone expects...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Ron Edmondson
Wake Up To Breaking News!