Sexual Scandals Reveal A Problem of Belief

Crisis Magazine | 8/14/2018 | Robert B. Greving
srqlolo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.crisismagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/HumanaeVitae2_682.jpg

Sooner or later, in some way or another, there will be an investigation as a result of the revelations concerning Cardinal McCarrick. The idea seems to be to discover what, within the structure of the Church, went wrong to allow for the abuse scandal to happen.

I’m not certain that’s the problem. The problem, to me, is not one of structure, but of belief, or the lack thereof. In other words, we could replace every bishop and set up any number of “oversight committees” composed of any combination of laity and clergy you want, but, in the end, that won’t solve the problem unless the persons involved—from pope to parishioner—believe what we profess. And by “believe” I mean honestly trying to live one’s life and perform one’s duties in accordance with the teachings of the Church. I am not saying that the Church should be comprised only of saints. From the time of Judas that has never been and never will be. We are all sinners and we all fall short, and so, in a way, this has always been “the problem.” But each person in the Church needs to ask himself, “Do I believe what the Church teaches, all of it? If I don’t, why am I here?”

Conversation - Years - Priest - Problems - Church

It brings to mind a conversation I had some twenty-five years ago with a priest about what I saw as problems in the Church: so many Catholics contracepting, some many supporting abortion. (At the time I had no idea what was coming down the pike.) He said that the problem was not, primarily, one of Church discipline, but of ecclesiology. He meant that so many have an incorrect idea of what the Church is. We see it as a some kind of social organization or political party where we each lobby for certain...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Crisis Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!