Jennifer Lopez on Why ‘Shades of Blue’ Is Ending, and What Convinced Her to Become a TV Judge Again — Turn It On Podcast

IndieWire | 8/11/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/9657504ck.jpg

Jennifer Lopez wasn’t planning on returning to the world of reality competition judging — at least, not so soon. After all, she spent five seasons as a judge on “American Idol,” a job she never expected to do in the first place. But as the executive producer on NBC’s “World of Dance,” it soon became obvious that she should return behind the judges’ table.

“I was a producer on it, so naturally it came up,” Lopez said. At first, she was hesitant: “I didn’t think so, and we started trying to interview people and put them together,” she said. But ” the chemistry was never quite right. Until they were like, think about it, it’s your show, you produce it, you own it. I was like, I want it to have its best shot and I know how to do this.”

IndieWire - Lopez - World - Dance - Time

IndieWire sat down with Lopez recently to discuss “World of Dance,” as well as why now was the time to end her other NBC series, “Shades of Blue,” after three seasons. We also discussed whether she watched the new edition of “American Idol,” if she still plans to revisit “Bye Bye Birdie Live!” for NBC, and what’s next in her busy career. Listen below!

“World of Dance”

Lopez - World - Dance - Anchor - Person

Lopez realized that “World of Dance” needed an anchor, and that she could be the person with the experience on a competition show to be that center. “I thought maybe I could be that anchor since I’ve got experience, and I’ll surround myself with other interesting people,” she said.

That ultimately became Derek Hough, NE-YO and host/mentor Jenna Dewan. In partnership with the global dance brand World of Dance, the series brings the world’s elite dancers together to compete for a Million dollar prize. The showcase includes hip-hop, popping, locking, tap, ballet, break dancing, ballroom, stomping and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
With God all things are possible, but not probable.