Russians 'offered Brexit backer Arron Banks slice of £6billion gold deal ahead of EU referendum'

Mail Online | 8/10/2018 | Martin Robinson, Uk Chief Reporter For Mailonline
jenny1246 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/08/10/07/4EFB005C00000578-0-image-a-2_1533883628465.jpg

Russians used a glossy powerpoint presentation to try to lure to the 'Bad boy of Brexit' Arron Banks into a £6billion gold deal before the EU referendum, it was revealed today.

The multi-millionaire funder of Leave.EU was promised enormous profits in a deal allegedly made via Alexander Yakovenko, Russia's ambassador in London.

Mr - Banks - Deal - Powerpoint - Presentation

Mr Banks, who refused the deal, was sent a seven-slide powerpoint presentation, which has been published for the first time today.

Its cover is a series of gold bars with Russian flags and contains graphs and charts promising extraordinary profits to investors helping mine gold in Siberia and Armenia.

Plan - Finance - Mining - Magnate - Siman

The plan was to help finance mining magnate Siman Povarenkin's company GeoProMining's merger with 'six or seven' rivals to 'streamline' gold production in Russia, according to The Guardian.

In one email sent to Mr Povarenkin in November 2015, Mr Banks reportedly said he was 'very bullish on gold so keen to have a look.'

Business - Partner - Brexit - Supporter - Jim

He copied a wealthy business partner and fellow Brexit supporter, Jim Mellon, on the correspondence.

Two months later, Mr Banks wrote to his adviser Nick Van den Brul to express further interest.

Chance - Andrew - Umbers - Adviser - Russian

He asked 'any chance Andrew Umbers [another adviser] and myself can see you about the Russian Gold Play. I intend to pop in and see the [Russian] ambassador as well'.

Mr Banks has met with senior Russians in London including diplomat Alexander Udod, who was later expelled for spying.

November - Mr - Banks - Friend - Business

In November 2015 Mr Banks and his friend and business partner Andy Wigmore were invited by Udod to meet the ambassador in London and enjoyed a 'six-hour boozy lunch', it is said.

Around a fortnight later Alexander Yakovenko introduced Mr Banks to Siman Povarenkin, the man who was pushing the gold deal.

End - Mr - Banks - Chance - Night

But in the end Mr Banks passed up the chance to invest and tweeted last night: 'So the story is...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!