Toddler's eyes have been stitched shut after being stretched by her enormous head

Mail Online | 8/10/2018 | Alexandra Thompson Senior Health Reporter For Mailonline
joseph76 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/08/10/10/4EFBC88100000578-0-image-a-15_1533892473079.jpg

A toddler had to have her eyes stitched shut after her eyelids were stretched by her enormous head.

Nineteen-month-old Aubrey Jones suffers from the condition hydrocephalus, which has caused her head to swell to the size of a four-year-old.

Aubrey - Condition - Mother - Pearl - Jones

Aubrey's condition, which was discovered at her mother Pearl Jones' seven-month-scan, is so severe Ms Jones claims she was offered a late termination, with doctors not expecting the youngster to survive more than three hours.

After an emergency C-section on December 10 2016, Aubrey was born struggling to breathe, forcing her to endure six surgeries before she was even six months old.

Youngster - Condition - Immune - System - Battle

The youngster's condition also means she has no immune system, which caused her to battle sepsis at just three months, with Ms Jones being told to prepare an end-of-life plan.

Although Aubrey, from Nuneaton, Warwickshire, defied the odds to survive, the youngster is never expected to walk, crawl or be independent.

Ms - Jones - Awareness - Hydrocephalus - Doctors

Ms Jones is speaking out to raise awareness of hydrocephalus among doctors. The mother-of-two claims she frequently has to explain the disorder to medical staff, which has inspired her to become a nurse.

'They offered me a termination. I was so distraught'

Speaking - Daughter - Condition - Ms - Jones

Speaking of her daughter's condition, Ms Jones said: 'Before Aubrey was born I prepared myself for what could have been a really traumatic experience but she survived. She's so strong.

'I found out she had hydrocephalus before she was born when I was around seven months pregnant.

Days - Emergency - Scan - Birmingham - Women

'Two days after finding out I had to have an emergency scan at Birmingham Women's Hospital. The midwife took measurements of Aubrey's head.

'Her head was meant to be between 12cm and 14cm, but it was measuring at 20cm-to-30cm.

'They - Survival - Rate - Hours - Birth

'They explained to me that her survival rate, even for a few hours after birth, was poor. They offered me a termination. I was so distraught.'

'I thought she...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: