Jim Carrey Didn’t Trust Michel Gondry for ‘Maybe a Month’ While Shooting ‘Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind’

IndieWire | 8/6/2018 | Staff
Kota79Kota79 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/KIDDING_101_2935R.jpg

It’s been 14 years since “Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind” helped change the world’s perception of Jim Carrey from a blockbuster movie star to a bonafide awards contender, and now he’s reuniting with the director who helped guide his performance to new heights. “Kidding,” the new Showtime drama from Carrey and Michel Gondry, is set to debut in September, and the team stopped by the Television Critics Association summer press tour to discuss their revived collaboration.

“He was the linchpin,” Carrey said. “I was incredibly interested in the material, but when Michel came on board I was like, ‘I get to play with a teammate.’ It was a thrill.”

Gondry - Projects

The two haven’t worked together since 2004, and Gondry noticed how their on-set dynamic shifted between the two projects.

“It was different than ‘Eternal Sunshine’ because [then] it took Jim several weeks of work or maybe a month before he trusted me,” Gondry said. “When we started working on ‘Kidding,’ it was very simple. […] He would try anything. You cannot imagine what [he does].”

Somebody - Carrey - Times - Sunshine - Gondry

“You learn to trust somebody,” Carrey said. “You see what happened before and [that builds trust.] There were many times on ‘Eternal Sunshine’ where I said [to Gondry], ‘It...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The truth fairly and honestly presented, will be spun as a lie by a politician.