Former Olympian Jana Pittman opens up about her struggles with breastfeeding

Mail Online | 8/5/2018 | Emilia Mazza For Daily Mail Australia
joyy (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/08/05/03/4ED7691600000578-0-image-a-146_1533437291943.jpg

Click For Video: https://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/08/05/1105044647596215277/1024x576_MP4_1105044647596215277.mp4

Australian athletics superstar and Commonwealth Games gold medal holder Jana Pittman is best known for her stunning efforts as a champion hurdler.

And while life after her sporting career has put family centre stage, the 35-year-old mother-of-three, says this hasn't been without its struggles.

Shock - Cancer - Scare - IVF - Treatment

First, there was a shock cancer scare in 2014 while she was undergoing IVF treatment. And now, the former Olympian has revealed ongoing difficulties with breastfeeding her babies.

'You think it's going to come quite naturally, she told Today. 'It's a journey that not everyone tells you is going to be a difficult one.'

Situation - Jana - Birth - Child - Problems

Explaining her situation, Jana said because she was young when she gave birth to her first child she didn't imagine she would experience any problems.

'I had just won the World Champs previously and I thought I am going to be able to master this beautifully. And it was a complete fail within three or four weeks,' she said.

'I - Journey - Lots - Lots - Mastitis

'I just wasn't educated on that journey and I got lots and lots of mastitis.'

Mastitis is a condition breastfeeding mothers can suffering from, one that's usually the result of a blocked milk duct that hasn't cleared.

Jana - Birth - Son - Cornelius - Child

Jana gave birth to her son Cornelius (a child she had with first husband Chris Rawlinson) nine years ago.

In the past four years, the elite athlete has had two daughters, Emily and Jemima, via IVF.

Difficulties - Something

She revealed that despite her earlier difficulties with breastfeeding this was something she was determined to overcome.

'I had tried very hard to establish that good flow of milk, and again it was a disaster. I don't know what was wrong with me but for some...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!