Of Plenty, Population, and Trust – A Further Reflection on the Multiplication of the Loaves and Fishes

Community in Mission | 7/29/2018 | Msgr. Charles Pope
Zorra (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://blog.adw.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Field_corn_Liechtenstein_Mountains_Alps_Vaduz_sky_clouds_landscape.png

The multiplication of the loaves and fishes that we read about at Sunday Mass was a miracle so astonishing that it is recounted in all four Gospels. A second, similar instance is recorded in another gospel passage. So, this sort of miracle is recounted five times within the four Gospels.

There are many theological reasons for this. Clearly, Jesus was fulfilling the promise of Moses: that after him a greater one would arise who would also feed the people mysteriously with bread. There are also many Eucharistic and spiritual dimensions to the miracle.

Reflection - Notion - Miracle - Hunger - One

In this reflection I would like to ponder the notion that this miracle of satisfying our physical hunger is a one writ large in our times. While many wish that astounding miracles like those recounted in the Scriptures were more evident today, I would argue that the miracle of the loaves and fishes and God’s promise to care for His people is right before our very eyes.

While there is hunger in the world today, it is not due to God but to human struggles and human sinfulness. Let’s ponder the work of God to feed us and see how He has multiplied our loaves and fishes.

Multiply - Earth - Rule - Fish - Sea

“Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant-yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit-yielding seed; it shall be food for you …” (Gen 1:28-29).

God would repeat a similar blessing and instruction to Noah, adding meat to the diet as well.

God - Family - Food

God wanted the human family to grow and promised to supply food for us. Even after the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Community in Mission
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Is it real news?? or MSM news??